Today started off well with a positive update on my sister-in-law. Yesterday they had stopped the blood pressure medication and my sister-in-law appears to be holding her own in that area. Her temperature was normal and the antibiotics appear to be working. The nurse stated that the night had been good, and that things were on track. The doctor, during his rounds this morning, stated he is pleased with what he is seeing by way of response. He did advise however, that they had discovered a second bacteria in her lungs and are awaiting its identification; hopefully the present cocktail of antibiotics will be effective to address this new bacteria.
For the immediate future the intent is to get her breathing on her own, consequently the medical staff advised that they will remove the support provided by the respirator in the next few days. They do not want to keep her on it for more than 14 days and she is nearing that mark. If she is unable to breathe on her own, then they will perform a tracheostomy. Although this sounds dire, the hope is that she will improve sufficiently in the next couple of days and pleasantly surprise all of us by regaining her capacity in this area and this procedure will not be required.
Certainly during my visit yesterday I noticed visibly encouraging signs. I don’t know if she was registering that I was there but there was a physical response using finger movements to certain statements made. She is still sedated, but the level of sedation has been reduced – I can’t help but think that she is making her way back to us.