For the first time in weeks it seems, today was a decent day. It started off a little rocky, there was some nausea, but as the day progressed my husband started to visibly improve. He knew that today had to be heavy on the proteins. The chemo has gone through him and wiped out all his blood cells so he needs the protein to rebuild. The toxins from the chemotherapy also still need to be flushed out – so a day that would also be heavy on fluid intake. He was game. By mid afternoon he was starting to perk up. This was a good thing. His taste buds are still off – at dinner tonight he informed me that most of the food I served him was a little “off” but since it didn’t seem to bother me, he ate the food anyway. This was quite funny really – the two big culprits were white rice and water.
He’s busy painting a submission for an art exhibition right now – which is another good thing. We’ve rigged up an arrangement where he can keep his left leg elevated in deference to his blood clot and still paint at an easel. The clot is still very apparent and his leg is still very swollen. By the end of the day his foot is smooth and shiny and his ankle is completely puffed up. Despite the swelling the pain has begun to subside which suggests he is well on the way to recovery. Not out of the woods completely but hopefully close.
There’s always a hitch though. On the 20th of this month he goes for a CT scan. There are three potential outcomes: 1) the chemotherapy is not working; 2) the chemotherapy has managed to stop the progression of the cancer, and 3) the chemotherapy has managed to reduce the presence of some of the existing cancer. He told me tonight that the chemotherapy has taken a significant toll on him physically and mentally and that, depending on the outcome of the CT scan, he has decided that he may take a break from the treatment. I know that when he starts to feel better, like he is now, he’s loath to go back in for another treatment. It’s important that he have a sense of control in his own wellbeing, and also the knowledge that he can and will feel better. There will be much more conversation in this regard prior to the 20th but for now there will be no more dialogue on this topic – decisions will be made after we get the CT scan results.
The sun shone today in more ways than one.